Monastery of the Visitation


click on pictures to enlarge


History of our Waldron Monastery

The Monastery of the Visitation, a large, red brick mansion, was built in 1898 by Joseph Lucas for his family. He built many other buildings in the surrounding area, and his architecture is very distinct. In 1903 Mr Lucas erected in his garden the Chancery window and porch, removed during restoration work, from nearby Laughton Church. The house passed through several owners and in 1936 it was bought by the Xaverian Brothers, who ran it as a preparatory boy's boarding school. The house was vacated during World War Two, when, like many other large houses in Sussex, it was commandered by the army. Soldiers camped in the grounds, as they did all around the village, prior to taking part in the D-Day landings. In 1959 we bought the property
from the Xaverian Brothers and it became the English Monastery of the Visitation.


    Click here to see a slide show
of the history of Waldron